More Vegetarian recipes:
Tomato and Mushroom Pasta Bake with Creamy Vegan Béchamel Sauce
400g spiral pasta, cooked (lasagna sheets are fine too)
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 lb fresh or canned tomatoes (about 2 cans, I like half fresh half canned), chopped
1 1/2 pounds mushrooms, chopped
3-4 Tablespoons vegan margarine
3 garlic cloves
2 slices of bread
4 cups Béchamel Sauce
1. Boil pasta and make the béchamel sauce (recipe below).
2. Preheat the oven to 400F and place your bread slices in there. Bake them while you’re cooking everything else, until they are toasted through.
3. Saute onion in olive oil, add tomatoes and cook for 6-8 min, stirring often. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
4. Melt margarine in a pan and add mushrooms. Cook until the juices have been released. Add garlic (and a little lemon juice if desired), season, and cook until most of the juices have evaporated.
5. When bread is done, remove from the oven and out in a food processor or finely chop to make breadcrumbs.
6. To assemble, start with a little béchamel sauce, then a layer of pasta. Layer on half of the tomato mixture, and another thin layer of béchamel. Add another layer of pasta, then half of the mushroom mixture, and béchamel. Repeat with the rest of the tomato and mushroom mixtures. Finish with a layer of pasta and béchamel.
7. Add about 2 Tablespoon of olive oil to the breadcrumbs and mix with your hands so it’s nicely coated. Sprinkle on top. Bake for 20 minutes and serve.
Preparation time: 1.5 hours
Veggie, Tomato, and Cheese Pasta Bake
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large zucchini, slice or dice into 1-inch pieces
1 medium yellow onion, slice or dice into 1-inch pieces
1 bell pepper (your choice of color), slice or dice into 1-inch pieces
1 carrot, slice or dice into 1-inch pieces
1 cup diced eggplant, slice or dice into 1-inch pieces
3/4 cup peas
handful of mushrooms, slice or dice into 1-inch pieces
1/2 (12-ounce) block firm tofu, crumbled
1 tablespoon garlic powder (fresh would be good too!)
1 tablespoon basil
1 tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1/2 tablespoon sugar or sweetener of your choice
1/4 cup vegan sour cream
16 ounces pasta, cooked
*Feel free to substitute whatever vegetables you would like. This is a very versatile dish.*
1. In a large saute pan, heat olive oil. Add zucchini, onion, bell pepper, carrot, eggplant, peas, and mushrooms. Saute for 5 minutes.
2. Stir in tofu, garlic powder, basil, oregano, salt, and red pepper flakes. Cook 5 more minutes.
3. Stir in crushed tomatoes and sugar. Cook until warmed through.
4. Turn off heat and stir in sour cream. Place pasta into a large baking dish. Add vegetable/tomato mixture on top and stir it all up. Sprinkle as much cheese on top as you’d like.
5. Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes. Take off foil and cook for an extra 2 minutes. ENJOY!
Makes: 6 to 7 servings, Preparation time: 10 to 15 minutes, Cooking time: 30 minutes
Ziti-Cheeze and Broccoli Casserole
10 oz block of frozen chopped broccoli
1 cup yellow corn chip crumbs
1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons vegan soy margarine
1/4 cup unsweetened soy milk
1 3/4 cup dry ziti
1/4 cup corn oil
1/4 cup white flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2-1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
– Smash or food process some corn chips until you get about a cup of crumbs.
– Set the pasta to cook
– Put the frozen broccoli block in a 1-qt casserole by itself and microwave for 5 minutes on high or until done.
– Heat corn oil in saucepan and add flour. Cook on low and stir until roux is a perfect golden yellow color.
– Add about 1/2 cup nutritional yeast. Add soy milk, boiling water, vegan soy margarine, and additional yeast by tablespoons until you reach a good consistency (to coat the ziti and broccoli and then bake). Add garlic and onion powder, salt, turmeric, and pepper to taste and color. Make it pretty strong — the pasta will dilute the flavor.
– Strain the ziti and add it to the broccoli in the casserole dish.
– Pour the cheese sauce onto the ziti and broccoli and mix in. Correct seasoning if needed.
– Cover the casserole with the corn chip crumbs.
– Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly and fragrant. Let cool slightly before serving.
Serves: 4 as main dish, 8 as side dish
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion, small dice
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
3-4 oz. fresh spinach, washe’d and chopped
1 lb. regular soft tofu, pressed of excess water
1 oz. sundried tomatoes, soaked in hot water until soft, coarsely chopped(reserve the
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
2 tablespoon reserved soaking liquid
2 tablespoon lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
3 cups tomato sauce
1 box manicotti tubes, boiled until slightly softened, but not limp
Saute onion in oil over low to med. heat until slightly golden, about 5-7 minutes. halfway through, add the garlic. If the onion is sticking to the pan, add a splash of reserved sundried tomato liquid or vegan white wine. Add spinach and cook until softened. Remove from heat. Crumble tofu into a food processor;add sundried tomatoes, yeast, soaking liquid, lemon juice, salt and pepper and pan mixture. Blend, scraping down sides, until very well mixed. Romove from processor and refrigerate in covered bowl for at least an hour. Fill each she’ll with about 2 oz. filling. Lightly layer a baking dish with tomato sauce. Line up stuffed shells and cover with remainder of tomato sauce. Cover and bake for about 30 min. in pre-heated oven at 325 F. Tastes best if you let the flavors marry for several hours.
Tater Tot Casserole
1 onion, diced
8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
12 ounces frozen meatless crumbles
1 tablespoon soy sauce
garlic salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
28 ounces frozen tater tots
1 packet (1.8 ounces) dry onion mushroom soup mix
2 cups vegetable broth
4 ounces vegan sour cream
1 tablespoon corn starch
4 ounces French fried onions, to top, optional
8 ounces vegan cheddar cheese, shredded, optional
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Saute onion until just translucent. Add in mushrooms, and saute additional 2 minutes. Add in frozen crumbles, soy sauce, garlic salt, and black pepper. Heat thoroughly.
2. Spoon mixture into 9×13″ dish. Top with frozen tater tots. Mix together dry soup mix, broth, sour cream, and corn starch in pot. Bring soup mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until slightly thickened, stirring constantly. Pour soup mixture over tater tots.
3. Sprinkle French fried onions and/or shredded vegan cheddar cheese on top, if desired. Bake 30-35 minutes or until tater tots are golden brown.
Source of recipe: This recipe was inspired by a dish my grandmother cooked often years ago.
Makes: 6-8 servings when served as main course; 10-12 when served as a side dish, Preparation time: 20 min, Cooking time: 40 min
Baked Potatoes Au Gratin
4-5 medium Yukon gold potatoes, sliced
1/2 cup chopped spinach, optional
vegan butter, to taste
2 cups plain nondairy milk (I use soy)
2/3 cup nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon flour
vegan bacon bits, to taste
French fried onions, to taste (I use French’s)
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place potatoes in a casserole dish. Add spinach and top with butter.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, flour, and yeast. Pour onto potatoes. Top with vegan bacon bits and fried onions.
3. Cover and bake for about 1 hour, or until the top is browned and potatoes are cooked. Top with more vegan bacon bits and fried onions. Serve.
Serves: 4 people; Preparation Time: 15 minutes; Cooking Time: 60 minutes
1 32 oz package diced frozen potatoes
1 container vegan sour cream (I use Tofutti vegan sour cream)
1/2 block vegan cheddar cheese, shredded (I use Vegan Gourmet cheddar cheese)
1 package smashed crackers (not a box, but one of the 4 packages from within box. I use Ritz.)
1/4 cup softened vegan margarine
salt and pepper to taste
Once potatoes are thawed, in a casserole dish, mix potatoes, sour cream, salt, pepper, and shredded vegan cheese.
In a separate bowl, smash crackers with butter and spread on top of the potatoes.
Cook at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
Easy-peasy-hot and cheesy.
Sweet Potato and Fennel Bake
3 large sweet potatoes
1 fennel bulb
1 (or 2) Granny Smith Apples (or the apple of your choice)
1 onion (I like onion so I used lots)
1 or 2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch (may substitute potato starch)
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1/2 teaspoon cumin (or to your taste)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to your taste)
1 tablespoon maple syrup (or to your taste)
1 packet stevia
Mix the Soy Sauce, Hoisin Sauce, Cumin, Cayenne, Maple Syrup and Stevia with approximately 1/2 to 3/4 cup of cold water. Stir in the cornstarch
Peel Sweet Potatoes, onion and Apple (you can leave the peel on the apple if you’d like) and clean and wash and trim the fennel bulb. I used a slicer to slice them all fine. If you don’t have one, slice by hand. You can either layer the ingredients in a shallow baking pan (which has either been sprayed with non-stick oil or greased with a little oil) or mix the ingredients and dump them into the baking pan which is what I did since it’s way easier. Pour over 1/2 of the liquid mixture (stir to make sure the cornstarch is blended) cover and bake at 400 degrees for 1/2 hour. Turn the heat to 350, uncover, pour the rest of the liquid over the vegetables and bake another 1/2 hour or until the sweet potatoes are done/tender
(I served mine with a dollop of vegan sour crème)
Preparation time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Green Bean Mashed Potato Casserole
3 cups textured soy protein, re-hydrated with 2 1/2 cups water
1 onion, diced
2-4 garlic cloves, minced
3 cans cut green beans, drained
3 cans tomato soup
6 medium potatoes
1/2 package silken tofu, whipped in blender or processor
Saute the onions, garlic & textured soy protein in oil until Textured Soy Protein is golden brown.
Cook potatoes in water until tender, drain. Mash with the tofu (or use soy milk if you prefer).
Layer ingredients in pan this way:
textured soy protein/onion mixture
Bake in oven for approx 30 – 35 minutes at 350 degrees. Let set for 10 minutes after taking out of oven.
Serves: 9 x 13 pan
Preparation time: approx 1 hour